April Quiz on the Minor Prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)
1. Which of the following groups of prophets prophesied in
a. Ezekiel, Micah, and Hosea
b. Isaiah, Zephaniah, and Jeremiah
c. Zechariah, Malachi, and Amos
d. Joel, Obadiah, and Haggai
2. How does the prophet Micah answer the question: “What does the Lord require of you?”
a. “I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.”
b. “Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.”
c. “Rend your hearts and not your clothing. Return to the Lord, your God, for he is gracious and merciful.”
d. “To do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.”
3. Which prophet was directed by God to name his children “Jezreel,” “Not pitied,” and “Not my people”?
4. “Rejoice greatly, O daughter
5. Which prophet was commanded by God: “Go, take for yourself a wife of whoredom”?
6. Which prophetic book envisions a future in which “your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions”?
7. In which book does the following appear: “I hate, I despise your festivals, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies… But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream”?
8. What was Jonah’s message to
a. a threat of destruction if they did not repent
b. a warning to flee from the wrath to come
c. an offer of forgiveness if they would repent
d. an announcement that the city will be overthrown
9. Which books contain the following: “They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks”?
a. Daniel and Joel
b. Hosea and Jeremiah
c. Jonah and Amos
d. Micah and Isaiah
10. The immanent approach of ‘the great day of the Lord’ is a major theme in which prophetic book?
11. Which prophet does the Lord command to bake a barley cake over human dung and to eat it in the sight of the people if
12. Amos prophesied during the reign of which king of
b. Jeroboam II
13. "See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight. . ." is found in which book?
14. "But you, O Bethlehem of Ephrathah...from you shall come forth for me one who is to rule in
15. During whose reign did Haggai appear as a prophet?
Two Longer Answers:
1. For each of the 12 prophets, determine from the book's introduction and the content of the book (and any other resources if you have them):
a) the time period the book is written and/or set...
b) the people (ie. Northern kingdom, southern kingdom, common folk, kings, people of
c) the issue or issues the prophet is addressing...
d) a one or two sentence summary (in your words) of the prophet's central message...
e) choose a symbol or metaphor from the prophet to help you remember the message…
2. Imagine that God has called you to prophesy. What word has God given you to speak to the Church, to the nation, to a particular group of people, to a specific issue, to yourself, etc. Pick a context then speak the Word! Write your oracle below. Be brave. Everyone has at least one sermon inside them!