June Quiz on the Five Scrolls (Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther) and the Post-Exilic Writings (Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 & 2 Chronicles):
1. Who said the following: “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you”?
a. Ezra to the Levites, during the reading of the law
b. Haggai to Zerubbabel during the building of the second temple
c. Solomon to Hiram during the building of the first temple
d. Nehemiah to Sanballat during the building of the wall of
2. To what event does the book of Lamentations respond?
a. the death of Jonathan
b. the death of Josiah
c. the division of the kingdom
d. the destruction of
3. “By the rivers of
a. in the presence of our enemies.
b. Sing us one of the songs of
c. when we remembered
d. Why do the nations conspire and the people plot in vain?
4. Which of the following is NOT a quotation from the Song of Solomon?
a. “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth!”
b. “My beloved had a vineyard on a very fertile hill.”
c. “I am black and beautiful, O daughters of
d. “My mother’s sons were angry with me; they made me keeper of the vineyards.”
5. To what town do Naomi and Ruth return from
6. Which saying does NOT appear in the book of Ecclesiastes?
a. "Vanity of vanities! All is vanity."
b. "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven."
c. "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?"
d. "It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting."
7. How does this statement conclude: "The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the skillful..."?
a. But the Lord rules over all
b. But the just shall live by faith
c. But time and chance happen to all
d. But the last shall be first
8. In Esther, Haman becomes furious with Mordecai because he
a. wore rich clothing
b. would not bow for Haman
c. had a higher social position than Haman
d. was Esther's cousin
9. What was Nehemiah’s great achievement?
a. rebuilding the wall of
b. defeating the Samaritans in battle
c. restoring the monarchy
d. teaching the law to the returning exiles
10. Which of the following statements is found in Ecclesiastes?
a. "All this I have tested by wisdom; I said, 'I will be wise' but is was far from me."
b. "Like a dog that returns to its vomit is a fool who reverts to his folly."
c. "Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary."
11. Ruth deliberately presents herself at the
a. garden gate
b. city gate
c. road to
d. threshing floor
e. home of Naomi
12. The writer of Chronicles condemns Saul for seeking guidance from a
13. The Persian decree permitting the reconstruction of the
c. 2 Kings
d. 2 Chronicles
14. What was Nehemiah's role in
b. scribe of Yahweh
c. cupbearer to the king
d. ambassador from
15. How were the words, which Daniel interpreted ("MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PARSIN"), conveyed?
a. spoken by a messenger of God
b. spoken by Daniel
c. read by a eunuch
d. written on a wall
1. The Song of Songs has been interpreted as God's love for
2. The story of Esther is the reason for the Festival of Purim. Describe this festival.
3. Nehemiah condemned the powerful for charging interest and thereby keeping other Jews indebted and in poverty. Can you think of similar situations today? What does it mean when we say "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors?"
4. How are the stories in Chronicles different from the stories in Samuel and Kings?
5. What quality does Ruth possess that makes her respected?
Who caused "bitter tears" to "flood her cheeks?" (Lamentations 1:2) Do you think it is psychologically healthy to believe in a punitive God? Why or why not?