May Quiz on the Poetic Literature (Psalms, Proverbs, Job)
1. Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar all appear in which book?
d. Song of Solomon
2. How is the following verse from Psalm 46 completed: "God is our ________, a very present help in trouble?
a. hope and confidence
b. redeemer and friend
c. refuge and strength
d. rock and fortress
3. Which words conclude the following verse from the book of Psalms: "As a deer longs from flowing streams,..."
a. "so my heart thirsts for righteousness."
b. "so my soul longs for you, O God."
c. "so longs a man for the wife of his youth."
d. "so a lion longs for his prey."
4. With what are the last six psalms of the Psalter concerned?
a. deliverance from evil people
b. the love of the law
c. the praise of God
d. the smiting of
5. In Psalm 14 and 53, how is the following saying completed: “Fools say in their hearts, ‘There is no…’”?
6. Which statement does Proverbs 31 NOT include in its description of a “capable wife”?
a. “Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.”
b. “For her love is better than wine, her anointing oils are fragrant.”
c. “Her children rise up and call her happy.”
d. “She opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.”
7. Which words follow this verse from the book of Psalms: “How very good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity”?
a. “…but a contentious woman breeds strife.”
b. “…working vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.”
c. “…but all day long my enemies taunt me.”
d. “…it is like the precious oil on the head.”
8. “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at last he will stand upon the earth” is found in which book?
9. Which of the following completes the quotation from Proverbs: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of . . . “?
10. Which of the following completes the challenge of Satan to God regarding Job: “stretch out your hand now and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will…”?
a. be made whole
b. curse you to your face
c. proclaim your presence
d. question your mercy
11. Which of the following completes the quotation from Proverbs: “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will…”?
a. learn the ways of God
b. not depart from it
c. not lack for friends
d. praise you
12. Which of the following completes the quotation from Psalms: "For as the heavens are high above the earth..."?
a. He has not dealt with us according to our sins
b. So great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him
c. So the Lord remembers that we are dust
d. The Lord works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed
13. In the book of Job, who says, "Do you still persist in your integrity? Curse God ad die"?
b. Job's wife
c. One of Job's daughters
14. "They are like trees planted by streams of water" refers to which of the following?
a. Those who persevere against injustice
b. God and the heavenly hosts
c. Righteous kings
d. Those who do not follow the advice of the wicked
15. "O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth" begins and ends the psalm that also contains which of the following statements?
a. "May the Lord cut off all flattering lips."
b. "The enemy has vanished in everlasting ruin."
c. "The Lord is in his
d. "What are human beings that you are mindful of them?"
16. About whom is the following said: "Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace"?
a. Ecclesiastes' wife
b. Job's wife
c. The Queen of
1. Proverbs are truisms or sayings to live by. What proverb or proverbs (not necessarily from the book of Proverbs) do you remember from a parent or other important adult?
2. What are the names of Job's three friends and what are their explanations for Job's misery?
3. Give your best answer to the question: "Why do bad things happen to good people?" or to put it another way, “What is your answer to Job?”
4. Many times in the Psalms, the psalmist prays for the destruction of enemies. Do you think Psalm 137:9 has a place in Holy Scripture? Explain.
Write a Psalm of your own: