March Quiz on the Major Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel)
1. Isaiah is associated with which location?
2. In Isaiah 7, what is Ahaz's response to the Lord's demand to ask for a sign "deep as Sheol or high as heaven"?
a. To challenge Isaiah
b. To refuse to ask for a sign
c. To request a sign
d. To walk away in anger
3. When did Ezekiel's visions occur?
a. Before the Babylonian invasion
b. During the Babylonian exile
c. Immediately following the fall of
d. Shortly after Solomon's death, when the kingdom was divided
4. What interpretation is given to Ezekiel's vision of the valley filled with dry bones?
a. A new covenant will be written on the heart.
b. The exiles will be brought back to the land.
c. The armies led by Gog will be totally destroyed.
d. This is the valley of decision.
5. “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations” is found in which chapter?
a. Isaiah 9
b. Isaiah 24
c. Isaiah 42
d. Isaiah 56
6. Who was Maher-shalal-hash-baz?
a. A priest of
b. A son of Isaiah
c. One who cried for the destruction of
d. The son of Baladan, king of
7. According to Isaiah, what event ends the Babylonian exile?
a. The victory of King Josiah of
b. The victory of Alexander the Great
c. The victory of Pharaoh Neco of
d. The victory of Cyrus of Persia
8. What was the point of these symbolic actions of Ezekiel: lying on his left side 40 days, then on his right side 40 days; shaving off his hair and beard; digging through a wall and crawling through it with his baggage?
a. to attract attention to his words; the actions themselves had no meaning
b. to demonstrate the irrationality of
c. to participate symbolically in the fall of
d. to purify himself from
9. What statement describes what Isaiah says about the wolf and lamb, the leopard and kid, the calf and lion?
a. "Be fruitful and multiply."
b. "They will not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain."
c. "Wild oxen shall fall with them, and young steers with the mighty bulls."
d. "You have given them dominion over the works of your hands."
10. What was the name of Jeremiah's scribe?
11. By which river did Ezekiel sit among the exiles?
12. Where is
a. Isaiah 1-12
b. Isaiah 13-23
c. Isaiah 40-55
d. Isaiah 56-66
13. Who brought Jeremiah from imprisonment to ask him, "Is there any word from the Lord?"
c. the princes of
14. According to Isaiah, how would Sennacherib, king of
a. of a fall from a horse
b. of the same illness that threatened Hezekiah
c. by the sword in his own land
d. in the siege of
Two Longer Answers:
1. For each prophet, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, answer the following:
a) What is the time period?
b) To whom is each speaking?
c) What issue and/or even is each addressing?
2. Do you think there is a relationship between a nation's prosperity/peace and its righteousness/justice?